Last night I began watching Emma with my family. (Background: I've never read a Jane Austen novel. I watched Sense and Sensibility once when we were both ill and home from school, and liked it all right.) About five minutes in, I turned to my mum and said, "Mum, who was that guy Emma was just talking to?"
"Mr. Knightley."
"I think I just fell in love with him. Is that okay?"
(Apparently it is. She says he's perfectly acceptable; even better than Mr. Darcy, believe it or not.)
In any case, Emma was marvelous, though we all know that it was mainly our handsome, snarky (Emma: "Being sarcastic does not become you." Me: "YES IT DOES. MOAR PLZ"), epic, and immensely sweet hero. (seriously, Mr. Knightley. If you ever get sick of Emma? I'm right here. And I love you. So very very much. <3 <3 <3) Emma herself is excellent, of course, though I really wanted someone to smack her. Hard. Fortunately she shaped up rather a lot by the end, and became a quite nice person.
(I also never really got over the fact that her dad was Dumbledore. I loved him, he was excellent and hilarious, but still - Dumbledore! Without a beard!
Though of course Richard Harris will always be my Dumbledore. Michael Gambon can never measure up in a million years. Richard Harris actually acted like Dumbledore.)
Also there was a plot, which was excellent. I laughed, I cried - it moved me, Bob! (Disclaimer: No actual crying took place. I did applaud, though, particularly on the welcome occasions when Mr. Knightley gave Emma a thorough and completely deserved dressing-down.)
The ending. <3 Oh my goodness. The ending. Aaaah! squeesqueesqueesquee
Also, I'm enamoured of the clothing. All of the top hats! and coats! and things! and dresses! I'm not sure I'd actually want to wear the dresses - I wouldn't say no to a top hat, though (the Venn diagram of people who would refuse a top hat and idiots is a circle), or one of those coats - but oh my goodness the gorgeousness. I imagine I'll be watching this a million more times in the future. And it's not just because of Mr. Knightley, except it totally kinda is.
Also I'll be reading the book. Mum's been trying to get me to read Jane Austen for years, and the closest I ever got was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which I couldn't finish. The nausea started to get really bad around the point where Elizabeth Bennet tore out and ate a ninja's heart. I'm not making this up. That really happened. (Yes, I changed my template again already. This is why I'm never getting a tattoo.)
(Also: SPOILERS SPOILERS EMMA SPOILERS SPOILERS EMMA SPOILERS:
(blank space, in case your eye just sorta wandered down)
The real spoilers:
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~



Great post! I love this movie, I have seen it five times. I must confess that I am more of a Darcy kind of girl myself, though. :)
ReplyDeletePopping over from the NaNoWriMo forums and I'm your newest stalker. :)
Yeah, the ninja heart was close to where I stopped, too.
ReplyDeleteI'll definitely try to find this on Netflix or Hulu or something. Sounds AHMAYZING!
Also, I am enamored of your awesome spelling of "enamoured".
Ahhh....
ReplyDeleteI really liked the other template. :(
Sorry, ZNZ, but I must agree with Charlotte. Love the rapid pace of change, because it's fun to watch, but the last template was better.
ReplyDeleteEither way, I'll remain a faithful reader. Keep writing! (and changing your template)
The 2009 Emma makes my heart go pitter-pat. And that is 90% because of Knightley. ^_^ Jonny Lee Miller is just perfect in that role... Gah. *explodes*
ReplyDeleteAlso, ohai, I've been reading your blog for several months now without ever bothering to comment, unless I have and forgot about it. So hiya, I'm Annie. ^_^
Also, I've been watching that gif at the bottom for five minutes straight. <3