![]() |
| Image Source |
Welcome to the dark side of Camelot.
Gwyna is just a girl who is forced to run when her village is attacked and burned to the ground. To her horror, she is discovered in the wood. But it is Myrddin the bard, a traveller and spinner of tales, who has found her. He agrees to protect Gwyna if she will agree to be bound in service to him. Gwyna is frightened but intrigued - and says yes - for this Myrddin serves the young, rough, and powerful Arthur.
In the course of their travels, Myrddin transforms Gwyna into the mysterious Lady of the Lake, a boy warrior, and a spy. It is part of a plot to transform Arthur from the leader of a ragtag war-band into King Arthur, the greatest hero of all time.
If Gwyna and Myrddin's trickery is discovered, what will become of Gwyna? Worse, what will become of Arthur? Only the endless battling, the mighty belief of men, and the sheer cunning of one remarkable girl will tell.
In the course of their travels, Myrddin transforms Gwyna into the mysterious Lady of the Lake, a boy warrior, and a spy. It is part of a plot to transform Arthur from the leader of a ragtag war-band into King Arthur, the greatest hero of all time.
If Gwyna and Myrddin's trickery is discovered, what will become of Gwyna? Worse, what will become of Arthur? Only the endless battling, the mighty belief of men, and the sheer cunning of one remarkable girl will tell.
Before I read this book, I thought it was fantasy. Maybe this had something to do with THE PURPLE STICKER WITH A UNICORN ON IT AND THE WORD "FANTASY" that some librarian had stuck to the spine, EVEN THOUGH THIS BOOK IS VERY BLATANTLY NOT FANTASY AT ALL. Seriously?
Anyway. This book is not fantasy. And the opening chapters didn't interest me much. But I kept reading anyway, because I love King Arthur.
Then Myrddin (read: Merlin) was introduced, and I couldn't stop reading.
It's not fantasy. Turns out, that's why I love it.
The main character is called Gwyna. If you're expecting her to turn out to be Guinevere, like I was, stop it. STOP IT! She's not. I thought she was going to, until the real Guinevere, Gwenhwyfar, showed up. Gwyna is a nice name, but to give it to a character in an Arthur story besides Guinevere is rather misleading.
The book opens with Gwyna escaping from her village being burned down - by Arthur. She escapes, swimming most of the way - she's an excellent swimmer, and she can stay underwater for ages. She runs into the bard Myrddin, and tells him what's happened to her, and he's like
![]() |
| Image Source |
IT'S LADY OF THE LAKE TIME!
(...And because I have no self-control:
![]() |
| Image Source |
Let me tell you, nothing ruins reading stuff about King Arthur like that movie. Worth it, though.)
So. The sword is given to Arthur, and everyone thinks it's amazing and magical and wonderful. Myrddin can't just leave Gwyna out alone in the wilderness to die, and he can't take her with him as a girl, especially since there's a risk of her being recognised, so he takes her along disguised as a boy named Gwyn.
The girl-disguised-as-a-boy is a ridiculously common plot device in historical fiction and fantasy. RIDICULOUSLY common. Because, I suppose, the boys had all the good adventures, but we want good female characters. I don't know what it is, but this is one of my favourite examples of it. It's just really really well done or something. I dunno. It was really good.Now let's talk about characters. Gwyna is an excellent character. I like her. Other characters I like: Peredur (read: Perceval), and Cei (read: Kai) - I always like it when Kai is a likable character; there's no reason he has to be nasty!
I almost always like Merlin characters. I can't think of a Merlin who hasn't been a character I've liked. I thought I was going to like Myrddin. I don't like Myrddin. He's brilliantly written, but he's also utterly unlikable.
...Just like about every other character, actually. Arthur is a horrible man. So are most of his knights, with the exceptions of Peredur and Cei. And Gwenhwyfar is portrayed as extremely selfish. But all of them are well-written and fascinating, and no one was the way you'd expect them to be - and it WORKED.
| Image Source |
Here Lies Arthur is a great book and excellently written, but I don't want it to be true, and it's not about a world where I want to live.
I'm giving it five stars nevertheless.
In Six Words: Myrddin wants Arthur to be hero.




Sounds great! LOL But the world of "The Squire's Tale" sounds awesome. ;) And have I mentioned I love your illustrations?! Gru + Aragorn = Awesomeness. xD
ReplyDeleteI absolutely adore anything Arthurian Legend. I might have to look into this one! And 'A Squire's Tale' as well.
ReplyDeleteIf you're a fan of the King Arthur legend, you might try to find BBC's Merlin TV show. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's good. Plus, BBC's Robin Hood is really fun and Doctor Who is amazingly awesome. I've heard that Merlin rates above Robin Hood and below Doctor Who. (But everything rates below Doctor Who...)
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOODNESS!! BBC's Merlin!!! :D :D :D
ReplyDeleteAhem...sorry about that. Merlin is my absolute favorite TV show of all time. EVER! It is AH-MAY-ZING!
Doctor Who is also one of my greatest obsessions EVER! And I recently started BBC's Robin Hood and am absolutely adoring it.
Nairam, you just named all of my loves.^_^
Yes, Zee, watch these shows. *nods nods*
@Lauriloth: Haha, high-five! The Robin Hood series was what got me into the BBC shows. Hit Doctor Who, and never made it to Merlin. Maybe I will, eventually...but really, one TV show to obsess over is quite enough for me. O.O
ReplyDelete@Taylor: Thank you. And you should look them up.
ReplyDelete@Nairam: I've heard of all of those (sometimes I think that everyone on the Internet except for me is obsessed with Doctor Who), and they do sound good. I'll look them up. Mum says Doctor Who is good and she's going to put it on our Netflix list.
@Lauriloth: I will, I will!