I could make excuses, of course. I could blame the problems that Hex, the Beloved Laptop of Insanity, Doom and Despair (also known as Spot, also known as My Baby, also known as The Horcrux, also known as My Precioussss...) has been having, but they started yesterday and are pretty well resolved now, knock on wood. (Though Mother Dearest says that I'm to back everything up constantly because it could spontaneously combust any moment, or something of the sort.) I could blame my fear of failure - the popularity of my bunny post has made me rather scared that I have reached my peak far, far too early. But I want to be honest with you guys and say that I am horribly, horribly lazy. Sorry.
To make up for this, I humbly offer up some book reviews:
Books 70 - 74 were the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy, by Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Restaurant at the End of the Universe; Life, the Universe, and Everything; So Long and Thanks for All the Fish; and Mostly Harmless. I loved them just as much as I did the first time I read them. Which is to say: I thought the first three books were amazing, the fourth was just weird, and the fifth, while not as good as the first three, was better than the fourth. (The ending is utterly out of nowhere, disappointing, and caused me to go, "What the photon?") However, these books are still some of my favourites EVAR, and highly highly recommended. Oh, plot? Planet Earth is destroyed, and one human, a man named Arthur Dent, escapes with his friend Ford Prefect, who comes from Betelgeuse, and they end up flying around the Galaxy with Ford Prefect's cousin, Zaphod, Zaphod's girlfriend, Trillian, and Marvin the Paranoid Android, a maniacally depressive robot (I <3 Marvin!). It's utterly hysterical.
Six Words: Answer is forty-two; Arthur wants tea. Book 75 was Dragonsong, by Anne McCaffrey. Menolly wants to be a Harper, and she's real good at music, but her parents don't think a girl should play music. Also, she meets creatures that are like dragons except not! I enjoyed this book, I suppose, but it was a bit dull in places, and rather forgettable.
Six Words: Forbidden from singing, Menolly meets lizards!
Book 76 was Around the World in 100 Days, by Gary Blackwood. I chose this book because I really enjoyed some of his other books, like the Shakespeare Stealer series and Second Sight. I liked this one too.
Harry Fogg is the son of Phileas Fogg, who I understand is the hero of Around the World in 80 Days, which I have never read. With his friend Johnny, he has built a steam-powered motorcar, the Flash. Then he makes a bet with some of his father's friends that he can ride this car around the world in 100 days, and they're off! This book was a lot of fun, and I loved the characters - Johnny, Harry, Elizabeth, and Charles are all realistic and fun to read about. Six Words: Round the world in steam-powered motorcar!
Book 77 was yet another re-read: Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Readers of my blog will already know of my fanatical devotion to Terry's Discworld series. I've only ever read one Gaiman book (The Graveyard Book), but I love it. So when they're put together - what could go wrong?
Nothing, apparently. This book was utterly hilarious and loads of fun, and was instantly promoted to "Favourite Book" status.
It's about the end of the world, as predicted by The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. Its happening soon - like, next Saturday, soon. The Four Horsemen are already riding out. But Crowley, a demon, and Aziraphale, an angel, are trying to stop Armageddon from taking place - they kind of like Earth, and aren't all that eager to see it come to an end. And nobody's entirely sure where the Antichrist has gotten to. There's also Anathema Device, a descendent of Agnes Nutter; Newton Pulsifer, witchfinder; and eleven-year-old Adam Young and his friends Pepper, Brian, and Wensleydale.Like I said, this is hilarious. I completely recommend it.
Six Words: Angel, demon, try to prevent Apocalypse.
Book 78 was This Isn't What it Looks Like, by Pseudonymous Bosch, sequel to The Name of this Book is Secret, If You're Reading this it's Too Late, and This Book is Not Good For You. I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It's snarky and funny, but it's not as good as the preceding books, and I could never quite get over the feeling that I was reading an inferior imitation of Lemony Snicket. For example: Like Mr. Snicket, Pseudonymous often stops to define words or explain something, but where Mr. Snicket explains things in a funny way - defining abhorrent, for example, as "what Count Olaf used to do when he was about your age," Pseudonymous just gives us an ordinary definition, sometimes with comments about the definition that try to be funny but just aren't. His definitions even feel condescending sometimes, which is something that Mr. Snicket could never be.
Six Words: Cass tries to find the Secret.
In Other News, I would like to wish the Bard a very happy birthday. Love ya, Will!
![]() |
| I did Will a party hat. You're welcome, Will. |

