Sunday, May 22, 2011

Why I Hate Shredded Wheat

They may reduce the risk of heart disease... 
(and apparently even they aren't sure if they do) 
but I still hate them!
For quite a while now, Shredded Wheat has been my least favourite type of cereal. I hate it. Having it in the house makes me uncomfortable. If I could stop Father Dearest from buying them, I would. 
I don't really mind eating it. I actually quite like the little ones. The big ones, however, are like eating a haystack and they are gross. But that is not why I hate them. 
This thing is totally a haystack. 
Also, it has little to no taste, and it is gross. 
No, I hate Shredded Wheat because of the back of the box. The back of the box says, "Life is complicated, your cereal shouldn't have to be." I suppose this translates to, "Most cereals are way too interesting. Eat haystacks instead!" But that's not the problem. The problem is that that is a comma splice. 
A comma splice is when you use a comma where a semicolon or period is required. The cereal box should say, "Life is complicated. Your cereal shouldn't have to be." Or even "Life is complicated; your cereal shouldn't have to be." And that's why I hate Shredded Wheat. 
Maybe you should blame my genetics; as the offspring of two English teachers, it's not exactly surprising that I've turned out like this. But comma splices are one of the things I hate most in the world. I hate them like I hate genocide. I hate them like I hate P.E. class. I even almost hate them like I hate it when people mix up "less" and "fewer." 
I can't help it. Bad grammar and punctuation make me angry. Sometimes they make me transform... into SUPER GRAMMAR! 
SUPER GRAMMAR soars through the air. She wears an awesome purple cape. She carries a red pen, the ink of which is actually the blood of the ungrammatical. She corrects grammar and punctuation. 
She corrected the Shredded Wheat. 
Really sorry the picture's so bad, and enormous thank you to
Mother Dearest for lending me her camera and spending so much time
helping me get the photo on here. 
You're welcome. 
(Also the world didn't end yesterday, did you notice? YAY, right? And wouldn't it be hilarious if it ended today instead?) 

4 comments:

  1. Haha! That's fantastic. I'm kind of a grammar freak too (must come from my love of writing), though maybe not quite so drastic as SUPER GRAMMAR. Still, I probably would've grabbed a pen and fixed the box as well! xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZNZ, with each post you rank higher and higher on my awesome-o-meter. With this one, you broke it.

    "She carries a red pen, the ink of which is actually the blood of the ungrammatical."

    This caused strange snorting sounds as I desperately attempted to smother my laughter.

    I am a grammaticaster, though I am still in training. Which basically translates as, "I'm with you on this one but don't spear me if I horrendously abuse the English language."

    Okay, so that was a fragment, but it doesn't count because I MEANT to do it, right?

    Now watch me have a really embarrassing error in this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Whoa. My last comment was loooooong. Sorry. DX

    I tagged you, by the way! :D http://thehouseontherock.blogspot.com/2011/05/next-time-wont-you-sing-with-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys!

    Olivia: Fragments used on purpose are all right and will not result in death. And I won't spear you for a first offence, probably.

    ReplyDelete