Monday, March 21, 2011

My Fictional Boyfriend

Note: This post was inspired by Aloha's Hot Fictional Guys You Should Know About series. Go check out her blog, and that's an order; it's awesome.
I have never had a crush on someone that exists. Not a person that I know IRL, much less those singer and actor types that appear to be so popular among my peers. However, I do have crushes on fictional guys. 
One of my first was Remus Lupin. As a nerdy eleven/twelve-year-old re-reading Prisoner of Azkaban, my thoughts were like this: "He's highly intelligent, very kind, slightly nerdy, possibly addicted to chocolate, and a werewolf!!! Clearly we're meant to be!!!" However, I've grown out of that one. This was aided by the fact that I began shipping him with Lily, and for some reason I can't have a crush on someone I ship. (James was a jerk who Lily was way too good for, and Sev was a Death Eater, and they can both go jump off cliffs for all I care. Tonks, much as I love her, needs to find someone closer to her, both in age [yes, I'm a hypocrite] and in personality. Might I suggest Bill Weasly?)
But after my life-changing (well sort of) discovery of Discworld, I discovered a new fictional boyfriend: Ponder Stibbons. 
He's a wizard, and he is supremely geeky. 
Yes. This guy.
He invented the first computer on the Discworld, Hex. Originally he was rather lazy; now he's the only wizard that ever does any work. He's brilliant, though perhaps sometimes a bit of a know-it-all, and he gets tremendously excited about his projects. He tends to stay up late working, and he enjoys banana-and-sushi pizzas. 
From the Hogfather movie.
He's the cute one sitting at the computer.
Here is a quote from Lords and Ladies which might help to show how awesome he is: "'Rocks! Why am I messing around with lumps of stone? When did they ever tell anyone anything? You know, sir, sometimes I think there's a great ocean of truth out there and I'm just sitting on the beach playing with...with stones.'"
I have a book review to post, but I got distracted by Ponder, so you'll have to wait till tomorrow. Sorry. 


-  Mrs. Stibbons  ZNZ


Image sources: 1 , 2 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mrs. Stibbons,

    Thank you for this most delightful post. I have to admit that I have not read the Discworld series, but after your intriguing crush on Ponder Stibbons, I may have to add it to my list of books to read in my spare time.

    I also must admit that I have never had banana-and-sushi pizza. I love all three: bananas, sushi, and pizza, so why not put them all together into a cacophony of flavors. Some day I must try it.

    I hope you find your real life Ponder Stibbons someday.

    Thanks for the interesting post.

    ReplyDelete